As your little ones head out for trick-or-treating tomorrow, remember these quick tips:
- Before Halloween, ask your dentist about sealants to protect the decay-prone grooves in your child’s molar teeth.
- Ensure children eat a good, hearty meal prior to trick-or-treating, so there will be less temptation to gorge on candy.
- Promote good oral health care habits to your children year-round by encouraging twice daily brushing with fluoridated toothpaste, daily flossing and regular dental checkups.
- Don’t buy Halloween candy too far in advance to avoid the temptation for children (and adults) to get a head start on the splurge.
- At the end of the night, remove the sticky, gummy and chewy choices from your child’s candy haul since these are the biggest cavity causers.
- Limit the number of treats per day and reinforce the need for good oral hygiene.
To learn more about what dentists give out at Halloween and get their best advice for keeping kids’ teeth healthy, visit www.trickytreats.org.
And HAPPY HALLOWEEN!